- Go through basic setup for my user account. No friction so far apart from the keyboard. I know which keys to check when I'm installing a Linux, so I do the same. SHIFT+2 and SHIFT+' give me @". WTF? Need to remap certain stuff; that's not the British English layout I'm used to; none of my other computers are Macs and I have 10 years of muscle memory when it comes to typing. I'll come back to fixing that. First off, Apple | System Preferences | Keyboard | Modifier Keys and sort out Caps Lock and CTRL, for good emacs usage.
- Where's a bloody terminal? Spend 5 minutes learning the nuances of the trackpad (I'm used to a nipple) and then drag one out of Applications | Utilities onto the Dock.
- Good, ssh is available. Copy my SSH keys and config off the Dell laptop running Ubuntu 9.10. Test all ssh stuff and grin like a maniac.
- Right, best install any system updates before I start configuring the arse off it. For a Unix, Mac OS X seems to need a lot of restarts for simple stuff like iTunes updates.
- WTF!? Nothing like aptitude? That seems like a glaring omission. What are my options? Googling seems to point to Macports, Fink and Homebrew as the available options.
- IRC client - download Colloquy and start talking to real people about their experiences.
- After that very small skewed sample, decide to go with Macports for now with an intention to properly evaluate Homebrew Real Soon Now.
- Install git with git-svn support.
$ sudo port install git-core +svn gitX
- Checkout my github stuff. Git is missing something - completion!
- $ sudo port install bash_completion
$ curl -o git "http://repo.or.cz/w/git.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash"
$ sudo mv git /opt/local/etc/bash_completion.d/
- Download the behemoth that is Xcode from the Apple Developer site and start checking out Objective-C
That'll do as a minimally usable system for now. Hardware-wise, it's a delight. Being able to watch all of InfoQ content without the teething problems that I always seem to have on Ubuntu is just a major relief - I've got a lot of stuff in delicious tagged from there that I've never managed to watch, so I can start getting through that backlog as well.