Saturday, October 01, 2005

Growing old (dis)gracefully

See - not even into double figures with posting and already I'm struggling for titles. Just another notch in my blogging learning curve I suppose.

We went away for a weekend recently - a mate's thirtieth birthday do down in Bath. My brother went to Uni there, but I haven't been there for a while, so it was nice to go around the place as a tourist rather than a student binge drinker.

After putting the boys to bed, I went off to start the night. It started sedately enough until an old housemate started us on cocktails and I lost the plot somewhat. It's alright if you're a City media-type - you get used to heavy drinking. Parents of young children don't have the same tolerance, as I can testify. I somehow managed to last the pace, but was sorely damaged in the process. After getting back to the hotel, helped by the fact that my co-drinkers were staying at the same place, and bouncing off the walls a few times, I passed out.

Al woke me at 06:30 to leave; she's a light sleeper, so the combination of my drink-fuelled snoring and the boys doing their best as well had given her a rough night. We got back a couple of hours later and I crashed again, only to be woken by Callum at 12:30, and then the phone calls started to see if we were going to meet up with the others in Bath for a spot of breakfast. I don't think my voice has sounded that rough for a good ten years or so, and I was still sweating alcohol three days later. Can't take the pace! Oh well, I'll see how I get on at the next thirtieth, sometime in November.

No comments: