Friday, February 09, 2007

Jython unicodedata proceedings

So a little background as to why I'm doing this. Well, I don't know Unicode as well as I'd like, and I know Python a lot better than I know Ruby, so no temptation to start hacking JRuby at this point (well, maybe just a little).

I've implemented the methods that were missing and now I'm getting failures in the test. For the first implementation, I grabbed the existing Python source. Shit, C programming rots your brain. I learned C at Uni and then again via K&R, but this is a little different. But it's enough to give me the method signatures for everything that I need to stub.

*sys-package-mgr*: processing modified jar, '/home/jabley/work/workspaces/main/jython/dist/jython.jar'
Testing Unicode Database...
Methods: 38ef24ef104d52e24f9b7c942676c6961f9233cc
Functions: 97f3b4a034c7d9a0d0c1f387e216d6b8bf309442
API:Traceback (innermost last):
File "dist/Lib/test/test_unicodedata.py", line 91, in ?
File "/home/jabley/work/workspaces/main/jython/dist/Lib/test/test_support.py", line 125, in verify
TestFailed: test failed

Bit tired tonight (Connor's been throwing up the last two days), so I won't dig much into this. It feels slightly weird to be running the tests as python tests against a Java implementation, but that's what you get for implementing a library like this. No Junit / TestNG in sight. I have a feeling that it's going to require a lot of reading, which is good in that I might learn something, but I also wanted to get back to Stefan with a DocBook example for an xmlunit proposal.

No comments: