Saturday, August 18, 2007

Amazon losing capability in core function?

I was watching Steve Yegge's talk from OSCON about branding, and one of the things he touched on was Amazon's brand is books, and they want to get out of that since Jeff Bezos thinks that certain consumables will become totally digitized. My current thinking is that they are focusing on other things anyway (hosting, anyone?) and maybe this is taking away from their original core competency. Recent orders of mine have taken a lot longer than they used to. Previously, I'd order stuff on a Monday and it would arrive on Wednesday or Thursday the same week, with Super Saver Delivery. Now it takes a lot longer. So I'm still waiting for the Erlang, ANTLR, Haskell and REST books to arrive that I'd hoped to read on holiday.

No comments: